Thursday, 26 February 2009

In response to…


Reading the post in Kate’s column about prostitution I got to thinking about the positive and negative sides to legalization of selling (and buying) sex. I don’t agree that it would prevent rape. Simply because I think rape has more to do with power and violence than sexual desire. I can however imagine that, in an ideal world, having supervised and legal prostitution might lessen the trafficking or the slave trade that that is going on, providing a safer environment in which to “do business”.

About accepting drinks from horny men; I do not think this is at the same level as prostitution (if no “deal” has been made) and I at least hope that most men are in more control over their sexuality than attacking someone who declined to sleep with them, after buying a few drinks. Though… of course it happens!

Now, I’m sure that this is not what Kate was saying, but the post made me think about how women sometimes get stuck with the blame – like; she was wearing a short skirt, so she must have wanted it! Or she was drunk or unknowingly leading him on - I think that women are, to some extent, made responsible for how men look at- and act towards them. If the act is violent, then she must have done something to provoke it. I believe this to be bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment