I might have kind of a double standard going on though… because when it comes to plastic surgery, I just cannot quite reconcile with it. Possibly because it’s more about adjusting to fit into the “right” shape, than expressing religious beliefs or individual esthetics.
I really don’t like to judge people for wanting bigger boobs or a smaller nose, but I do have a problem with the ideal that makes us think we need surgery to be good enough. Of course there’s going to be an ideal beauty, there always has been, and of course people are going to want to look like it. But do we have to make it unattainable (outside of Photoshop)? Does beautiful have to look like the (hell-spawn) Bratz-dolls?
I’m not likely to be out there, marching for hairy armpits (although really; do we shave our body-hair because it’s “naturally prettier”, or are we just making some razorblade-selling company rich and happy?) but I get sick of the shallow, narcissistic, surface-fixated crap that we’re supposed to buy, that we’re expected to just… strive for. The anti-wrinkle cream-commercials and pretty pop-stars.
Yes, I do sound a little bit bitter. Here are some links:
Questioning Beauty Ideals
Over-sexed and over here: the 'tarty' Bratz Doll
Body Dysmorphic Disorder
No comments:
Post a Comment